march 17

Friday, January 28, 2011

Dallas Texas for the National Teacher of the Year convention

Wow, have I learned a lot this week. I can't believe how much my eyes have been opened. It has been so fabulous to speak to teachers in all fifty states, plus St. Thomas and other U.S. territories. We have so much in common, yet there is still so much we need to do to make education better for our students. Do we assess what really counts? Do we need to tie teacher pay to teacher/student performance? What policies are coming down both the federal pipe and in the states that will affect my job? So much to think about.

To change gears...we had a few hours of free time on Friday. I, Idaho, Nevada,Wyoming,and North Dakota went to the Texas School Book Depository to see where Lee Harvey Oswald fired the fatal shot that assassinated John Fitzgerald Kennedy. Here is the grassy knoll some say a shot was fired from by an unidentified man.
Here is about the location JFK was in when he was shot in the limosine.
Here is the former Texas School Book Depository where Lee Harvey Oswald allegedly fired the shots. He shot from the sixth floor window.
Here I am with my state coordinator, Bobbie O'Boyle

Here are some of the other state teachers of the year:
Stefani from Idaho
Ryan from Minnesota
Gay from Utah with Stefani and I


Our final evening we had the pleasure of being inspired by Sarah Brown Wessling: National Teacher of the Year. Ever wonder why poetry is so beautiful? Because poets create the images....we are those poets. She left us with the message to go forth and create poetry with our students. Kathy, National Teacher of the Year from 2004 reminded us that "with great power comes great responsibility." I think she meant that we hold the power in our classrooms and schools to change the world; with that lies the responsibility to teach those around us carefully, thoughtfully, passionately, and diligently. I love being a teacher.

2 comments:

  1. You look Fabulous Amanda!!!! Looks like you're having so much fun with all the traveling and perks of being teacher of the year!!!! Love and misssssss you all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you still. I just submitted photos to my first counselor for our New Beginnings photo slide show...guess who I sent for the photo requirement of people who are important in
    Brooke's life? YOU!!

    ReplyDelete