march 17

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Happy Birthday to Mr. Handsome

Another year older and wiser....Don turned 37 on Saturday, March 27. I remember as a teen when my friend's parents watched the tv show, "Thirty Something" and I thought it was so boring. I do remember many of the characters and scenarios though, and realize I am almost OUT of that phase of my life!!

Although I worked in Chandler for the Department of Education all day on part of the AIMS Writing test, the evening turned out to be a good one for Don. Admist his family and Grandpa Jim and Nana, he had hickory grilled steak from the barbie, fresh salad, garlic cheese bread, delightful baked sweet potatoes (thank you Brandon) and of course, cake and ice cream/frozen yogurt. Chef Brooke utilized her baking talents in the kitchen and produced a German chocolate cake with caramel frosting. The dessert was complete with caramel sauce for the ice cream and whipped cream.

Our patriarch received a giant planter for his dragon fruit cactus plant, a new steamer (we want to eat more steamed fresh veggies), a Cabela's knife, a Cabela's gift card, The Fly-Tying Bible, a beautiful fold-out book on small gardens, and of course, a fun night at home with family.






The night before, our family settled in to watch The Blind Side. We were all touched by the storyline. It helped me remember why it is so important to serve all those teenagers at school. You never know which one of them might change me or my family's life. Both Don and I have met so many wonderful young adults in our career and are grateful for any positive influence we have had on them and they have had on us.

Don was down for part of the day today with a migraine, but after several hours in the dark, the throbbing subsided and we ventured out to the back yard to plant the remainder of the marigolds and put the dragon fruit in the new planter. Watch for posts of the garden.

We were tickled to see that the onions we planted last weekend are already up, as is ONE bean plant so far. The tomatoes and peppers are going strong, except for a couple plants in the far back. Don said there is too much manure in that planter and the poop is "too hot" and is "burning" the plants. Whoops! need to get more topsoil for that planter. The raspberry plant is looking great. We also purchased a handy dandy hanging upside down strawberry planter. I look forward to planting those berries. The Sweet William and pansies are blooming everywhere. Oh, and if you could only see the citrus trees (well you could if I took a picture), there are so many blossoms, I think it will be the most fantastic crop of lemons, oranges, tangerines, and grapefruits!

No comments:

Post a Comment